What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction is the inability to achieve or maintain an erection adequately for sexual function. Erectile dysfunction, commonly referred to as ED, is a very common sexual problem for men, affecting millions of men in the United States. The instances of ED typically increase as one ages.
The physicians and clinical team at Urology Associates of Mobile our experts in the non-surgical and surgical treatment of ED. Our team’s focus is to work with you and your partner to restore erectile function and improve overall quality of life.
What causes Erectile Dysfunction?
The causes of erectile dysfunction can be physical, psychological or a combination of both.
- Physical causes include inadequate blood flow to the penis, lack of nerve signals from the brain or spine to the penis, and hormonal imbalances.
- Decreased blood flow to the penis can occur due to a multitude of medical conditions including but not limited to diabetes, high blood pressure, and smoking. The decrease in blood flow to the penis eliminates its ability to store blood during an erection. Without the ability to store blood, the penis cannot remain erect.
- Certain diseases, as well as injury or surgery to the pelvic area can damage nerves in the penis. This can eliminate communication between the brain/spine and the penis. This communication is necessary to obtain an erection.
- Low testosterone, also referred to as hypogonadism, can diminish one’s ability to obtain or maintain an erection.
- Erectile dysfunction can also be caused by emotional problems, including but not limited to depression, anxiety, relationship problems, and stress at work or in the home.